BeO is a toxic material, but
its combination of high thermal conductivity and low expansion coefficient
make it seem like a magical solution to a lot of semiconductor heat
problems. At Microwaves101.com we advise you against using this
compound in any design. Exposure can cause a severe allergic reaction
in some people, and breathing dust containing beryllia will kill
you faster than asbestos. Because it is so toxic, it is required
by law that you label all parts containing beryllium with handling
instructions, you can't perform any type of rework to it, and disposal
of scrap may be a crime depending on where you live and your local
regulations. Consider aluminum nitride
as safe alternative, or take you design back to the drawing board
and figure out a better way to dump the heat! Why put your employees
and customers through potential a health risk and your company at
a legal risk?
a link to Brush Wellman's instructions on handling BeO which
is one of their main products.
Some of the data came from an
old MIC Technology databook.
|Formula or Composition:
Factor (a.k.a. loss tangent, or tan):
Coefficient of :
Coefficient of Resistivity (TCR):
Coefficient of Expansion (TCE):